This blog is dedicated to the memory of the one-room rural school and the brave young ladies who taught the students enduring tricks and pranks designed to outwit them.

Monday, January 3, 2011

THE OLD TIME BOX SUPPER

Gaily decorated boxes lined the table in the old school house.
Old geezers and young boys guessed which box was whose.
The auction started and they all had a chance to choose.
It seemed like all sweethearts had no choice but to lose.

An old bachelor was stubbornly bidding on "my" box.
I was glad I had the foresight to switch with Grandma Fox.
She'd enjoy his company much more--of that I was sure.
I hoped he liked her Lemon pie so sweet and pure.

Grandma's box came up next. The auctioneer held it high.
The teacher bid on it. I swallowed a gulp, and then a sigh.
I wished I could somehow disappear just like a mouse.
Eat supper with him? I'd rather be alone with my house.

The auction was finally over. I was sure I would die.
I dropped down at a table to wait my embarrassing fate,
But to my surprise a young man appeared. He was not shy.
Only on this first date I didn't tell him Grandma made the pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment