This blog is dedicated to the memory of the one-room rural school and the brave young ladies who taught the students enduring tricks and pranks designed to outwit them.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Ode to School Days

I didn't make my bed today.
I hurried off to school and play.
Time was what I wanted to stay
While I beat you at marbles-oh say!

I didn't do my math yesterday-
I flew a paper airplane-time was spent
The lunch hour came but didn't stay.
Oh how I wished it never went.

I best be in my seat when the bell rings.
I'd rather be out on the wooden swings.
Miss Harper checked my math page today--
It's Friday--but I won't get to play.

I didn't hear her call my name.
I was daydreaming--just the same
Like yesterday, when I flew my plane.
I think I need to polish my explain.

I got detention for that trick.
I cleaned the blackboard real slick.
But thats not all--the hour is not done.
The floor needs mopped. This is no fun.

Here comes my Pop.  I've had it for sure.
The chicken house is full of manure.
He walks me home. It seems like a mile.
I guess I won't play for quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment